What Is Outside Diameter Grinding? Take A Closer Look Here
Outside diameter grinding is an important process used in the machining of a wide variety of parts. The focus of outside diameter grinding is to shape and perfect the outside diameter of a part. There are many different applications for which inside diameter grinding can be used.
Here is more about the process and how it works, as well as where you can use outside diameter grinding.
What is Outside Diameter Grinding?
The outside diameter of a cylinder is known as the OD. Outside diameter grinding is used to remove burrs, and other imperfections from a cylinder's outside surface. Outside diameter grinding can also be used to remove damaged material from the surface. This process may be done by hand or with the help of machine tools.
The outside diameter of a cylinder is known as the OD. Outside diameter grinding is used to remove burrs, and other imperfections from a cylinder's outside surface. OD can also be used to remove damaged material from the surface. This process may be done by hand or with the help of machine tools.
When is the Process Used?
Outside diameter grinding can be used in many different applications, but it is most commonly used on large diameter parts, such as steel pipes or shafts. It can also be used on smaller diameters, though, such as in the case of aluminum or copper tubing. The process works well with any metal that must have an even finish across its entire length.
The Benefits of OD Grinding Methods
Outside diameter grinding (ODG) has several benefits over other types of grinding methods. These include:
- Higher surface accuracy: While other methods can produce a very small surface finish, ODG produces results with even less variation than laser-based systems, which can be prone to error due to small changes in temperature or pressure during cutting.
- Lower cost: Laser-based systems often require expensive equipment and more time than other methods, making them more expensive than ODG.
- Less waste: While laser-based systems use lasers that create heat when they cut through metal, ODG uses no cutting tools at all since it grinds instead of cuts; this means that you don't need to buy additional tooling equipment.
These are some of the benefits of ODG grinding methods.
Where Can You Find These Services?
If you need to know where to go for outside diameter grinding, consider these options:
- Machine shops: If you have a project that requires outside diameter grinding, your first instinct may be to call up a local machine shop and see if they can help you out.
- Vendors: Another option is looking at parts vendors that specialize in machining parts like gears and shafts. Many of these companies offer outside diameter grinding as one of their services, along with other basic tasks like drilling holes or milling surfaces flat.
- OD grinding machines: Another option that you might want to consider is buying your own outside-diameter grinding machine. This will ensure your parts are right and also allow you to provide services to other businesses that need this type of work done.
Outside diameter grinding is a machining process that is used for a wide variety of applications and parts. Contact an outside diameter grinding machine supplier to get the equipment you need for your business.